Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Big Mouth

Stuart and I were once working on putting together a collage on a qual project that had just got completed. It was hard work – and at lunch time Stuart ordered for a couple of sandwiches from the nearby Subway joint. The sandwiches soon arrived – and I was exposed to the dilemma of having to eat a huge 12 inch burger and yet look dignified in that process. The whole problem was that no matter from which angle I attacked the sandwich it simply was too big and thick for my mouth to take a good bite. I sneaked a quick glance at Stuart as to how he was progressing on his Tuna sandwich and was astonished to find him calmly tucking-in the entire sandwich into his mouth.

The conversation proceeded as follows:

Stuart : “Please finish your sandwich quickly – there is lots of work to be done”.

Me (still trying to recover from the shock) : “I …. Um ….. eh ….”

Stuart : “What is wrong? Anything wrong with the sandwich?”

Me : “This large sandwich……” and then shockingly I heard myself blurting out “Stuart, you have such a big mouth …..”

It was Stuart’s turn to look dazed – and I had to quickly rush in and do a lot of explaining …… and fortunately my explanation was finally bought though with some amount of raised eye-brows.

English is indeed a funny language, is it not?

2 comments:

manu said...

I liked the presentation

Kishore said...

By saying "...you have such a big mouth", you probably meant how large his mouth was as he was able to 'finish-off' with the sandwich quicker than you, right? And I guess this is what you served as an explanation to Mr.Stuart! :)