Friday, June 26, 2009

The Delight Factor


A colleague of mine returned to Bangalore after a visit to his home-town Delhi. While talking about a colleague he had met in our Delhi office, he mentioned that “she is a delight – an absolute delight”.

What took place was a dialogue that Wodehouse would have been proud of:

I : What? You said she is a delight?

He : yes, absolutely …..

I : but what makes you say so?

He : because she is …… I know for a fact….
I : but what makes her a delight? For instance, am I a delight?
He : Of course not, you are not a delight, everybody knows that …
I (now positively miffed) : Oh really?

He : yes, everybody knows you are a South Indian …..

Recognition dawns …..

I : oh …. You meant she is a Delhi- ite?
He : yes, people from Delhi are called Delights.
I (with an embarrassed smile) : oh, now I understand ……
Absolutely delightful - no doubt about it!

No comments: