Saturday, April 20, 2013

Custom-made Triple Reed harmonium

I took possession of my new custom made triple reed harmonium last week.  It was crafted at the Bombay Harmonium Works, Mangalore.

This harmonium features 3 sets of reeds - Chorus, Male and Female.  The Chorus and Male reeds are German reeds taken from another old harmonium, while the Female is a new Palitana set.  Old German reeds are the best - Indian reeds do not come anywhere close in quality.

Because the reeds are German, it is tuned to 430 Hz - and not the concert standard 440 Hz.

Here is a short video about the features of this harmonium, and why I consider this as a really special harmonium.

And here is a short video of I and my son doing riyaz - with I using this harmonium.



2 comments:

Learn Harmonium said...

Nice Post with Good And Thanks For sharing Such a Nice Infromation.
Website : Learn
Harmonium Online

Vrindavan said...

Dear Mr. Rao.
I am Italian, I have seen your video with the Palitana reed. Please can you send me the pictures of the original Mohanlal reeds so that I can see how they look. Has each original Mohanlal reed the stamp ? Thanks email: