Thursday, October 30, 2014

Seat Mate Expectations

I sat in the middle "sandwich" seat of the aircraft, and engaged in my favourite activity : watch the passengers board the aircraft, and as they walk down the aisle try to guess which of them would be occupying the seats on either side of mine.

The seat on the aisle side got occupied by a person looking like a retired mafia don - he overflowed from the seat, so I hoped that the window side seat will be occupied by someone slimmer.

A petite, stylish young lady was now approaching the seats - would she be the one occupying the window seat next to me?  I very much hoped she would be my seat mate.

Alas, she sat in the window seat in the row just before mine.

A couple approached and requested the lady whether she could shift to the seat behind her (i.e. to the window seat next to me) as the couple were given seats in different rows, and they would like to sit together.

The lady hesitated.  Then she said "let me check".

She got up, and looked directly at me.  It was almost as if she was taking a decision on whether or not to shift depending on whether she liked me or not.

I seemed to please her, as she turned around to the couple and told them that she will shift to the seat behind.

I was ecstatic.  Did she shift because she sensed that I would be excellent company for her - probably she was aware that I wrote a blog and wanted to sit next to a well known blogger.  Or probably she was looking for romance (or adventure?) and was attracted to my famous George Clooney look.

She moved into the seat next to me, and I waited for her to drop a suitable hint about her expectations. I was keen to live up to her expectations.

I need not have bothered.  2 minutes after she sat in the seat she started snoring loudly, and woke up only after the aircraft landed in Dubai.

2 comments:

SAB said...

Apparently she had a company so boring that she had to fall asleep within 2 minutes. She only had two options. One: jump out of window which was of course not possible due to ticket she paid for. Second: wait for Colooney to make a move. Unfortunately Hollywood Colooney had set such a precedent that she knew she wouldn't be able to afford the Bollywood Colooney. Flight seemed to be couple of minutes delayed hence the decision to go sleep.
I remember my young ex colleague once boarded a flight praying for a pretty female travel companion. I called him to check the status. "Sorry mate, there is a very old lady sitting next to me. Seems like her prayers have been accepted and not mine", was what I heard :))),,,
Happy flying Sir ��
Shakeel

vandram said...

Heh heh Shakeel sir - my Clooney look is not working. I am now trying to figure out how I should do a major upgrade in life.