Tuesday, December 3, 2013

To My Daughter On Her 18th Birthday

My dear Anupa,

You have turned 18 today – and I am still trying to reconcile with this fact.  One moment you were the small girl uncertain of her place in the world – and then next moment – poof, you have become this beautiful, self-confident young lady.  When did that happen?

To a dad, all children are special – but a Daughter is special in a very different way to her dad - ask any dad.  Bringing up a daughter is so different : Sons seem to grow slower – or at least they seem to grow in stages, and one is always aware that he is slowly maturing into a young adult.  But daughters? Boom - one day – the little girl is a young lady.

And then fathers of daughters are always conscious that they are in a race with time.  I cannot explain it here – but I know fathers of daughters will understand what I mean. 

Seeing you grow made me realize how quick and transient life is. No matter how much time I have spent with you, I still want  to clutch on to Time and say “hey there, can you please stop running – I want some more time with my little daughter … “   

Dads are always greedy when it comes to their daughters – just can’t help it.

Here’s wishing you a wonderful 18th Birthday my lovely one – and a fantastic life ahead for you.

Your loving,
Aanu