Saturday, July 23, 2011

Paying Guest in Mumbai

"Watch out for land-lords trying to palm off their daughter to you" was the advice given to me by my aunt when she heard that I am shortly headed to Mumbai, and will be looking for Paying Guest (PG) accommodation.

My first PG accommodation was in an old ramshackle villa called Norman House in Agar Bazar, Dadar near the Portuguese church.  The land-lord - a crafty old Anglo-Indian - charged me Rs 500 per month for a bed in a twin sharing room (this was in the good old '80s).  The "twin sharing" room soon accommodated an extra 2 beds which made for indeed very crowded living.

Wanting my own private space, I briefly moved into my own separate room in another PG place near Kaboothar Khana in Dadar.  The experiment was short-lived as I realised that I was living in a house that had a drug addict (and with all its attendant problems) - so soon I was sheepishly back at my old PG in Agar Bazar.  The land-lord triumphantly told me "I told you so" - and increased the rent to Rs 600 as punishment for my treachery.

One met varied people as room-mates in the PG.  In fact it was like a railway station - with people coming and occupying a bed for a month and then moving on. In the course of a few months I befriended a team of encyclopaedia salesmen, a steel salesman, a telephone salesman, a chemist, and a mystery man who used to sleep throughout the day.  One of the room mates was an estate agent, and he told me about an excellent PG facility located in Hindu colony in Dadar TT.  It was a single occupancy room (a real luxury in Mumbai) with a balcony, and the land-lord only wanted Rs 800 per month as rent.  However, apparently the owners - an aged Maharashtrian couple - insist on carrying out a detailed interview with aspirants, and had rejected several aspirants to the room.  I anyway decided to try my luck, and went to meet them at their house.

I had tea with them on their terrace over-looking the busy Ambedkar road.  Something in me must have clicked - for soon they told me that I can move in.  A room to myself - finally!



23 comments:

manu said...

Wow !. Baba's place. What a nice family they were. I was fortunate enough to have spent a couple of days with you at this place and loved them. I still remember the mango jam like delicacy once made by ma-ji and served to me. Another thing that I remember is the sound of traffic and it stopped only for just about an hour at around 2.00am !!.

vandram said...

wow - you have a fantastic memory. Can't also forget Sona Bai their maid - never seen a more loyal person.

sachin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shakti said...

Hey wanted to know if you'd be ok with us featuring this post in our Around the Blog page in DNA Mumbai. Please write to us if you would be okay. Shakti.dna at gmail.com

hot property said...

paying guest in delhi

Search and Book online the cheap and best low-price & affordable PG(Paying Guest) accommodation and Hostel in Delhi/NCR for single or shared basis with best amenities, food and location.

http://www.pghostels.co.in/

Unknown said...

find pg in mumbai at affordable prices http://mumbai.quikr.com/Paying-Guest-Hostel/w1074

Akash Chauhan said...

Are you looking for PG, Girls & Boys Hostel, Room rent in Mumbai

Visit us : P.G., Hostels & Rooms

Akash Chauhan said...

Looking for pg, room & hostels to live with in India? Browse ads for paying guest accommodation on Rentalwala.com

pg in Jaipur

Unknown said...

nice post..
Get Safe & secure PG for Boys & Girls in Gurgaon. Paying Guest Accommodation in Gurgaon for both boys & girls on sohna Road,In IMT Manesar,pg near omaxe city centre,Near spaze IT Park..in Gurgaon

Unknown said...

This blog is fascinating one and it induce me to know more about it. Thanks for the sharing this blog and keep on sharing these kind of useful blogs. If you are searching for the PG which provides comfortable stay find it @ http://www.beehiveomr.com/

Shaleen Srivastava said...

Thanks for sharing!
Looking for a pg in delhi ncr either flat on rent or room on rentat affordable cost? Then you are at a right place as Roomsoom provides you with various option to choose from without any brokerage charges.

Unknown said...

Your story is actually amazing I really liked it. Still looking for pg rooms in Nagpur then this is the correct time.

Mahesh said...

Thanks sir Good information for me
Mahesh ChawalaCarewellPG Vipin Graden

Devender singh chilwal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devender singh chilwal said...

Thanks for this information keep sharing...
For PG related queer Girls PG in Sector 15 Noida

Letsbook Mypg said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.

PG near Bharti Vidyapeeth Pune

Book MyPG said...

Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information.

Paying guest without brokage in mumbai

GMD Business Link said...

Thanks for sharing information, Find best Paying Guest & know all details related to Paying Guest For Boys In Andheri East .

Unknown said...

Rent PG in Gurgaon Sector 11 - Pioneer Co-Homes Offers Luxury PG Accommodation in Sector 11 with ✓Safety ✓Wifi ✓TV ✓CCTV ✓House Keeping etc for Students and Professionals.

Book Now:-
www.pioneercohomes.com

Contact us for more details.
+91-98703 04666

Letsbook Mypg said...

Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing PG near Kamala Nehru College

Book MyPG said...

Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us.Book my pg

Letsbook Mypg said...

You have great ideas to share something like this. Thanks for share this info.Really useful information. Thank you so much for sharing.
PG near Allen Indore Southtukoganj

Letsbook Mypg said...

I especially enjoyed this one!!I really liked your Information.
Good information on your blog and thanks for provide me valueable info... And This is my Services

PG without Brokerage