Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The girl in Central Park

The morning air was crisp and the sun was struggling to show itself through the morning mist when I and my colleague reached the mid point of Central Park in New York.  A few birds were circling the large crystal clear lake - and the morning dew shimmered on the huge meadow next to the lake.

A little girl - perhaps 6 or 7 years old - stood on the winding path in the far distance, waiting for us to approach.  She was dressed in a pretty frock with matching shoes.  From time to time she will cast a hesitant glance at a young couple casually stretched out on the meadow in the distance.  From the encouraging nods they were giving her, they should be her parents.

As we reached her I noticed she had very beautiful blue eyes, and she held a small placard which said "Free Hugs".

She looked at me with her beautiful blue eyes and waited expectantly for me to respond.

I hesitated.  Should I hug her or not?  

I said "good morning little one" in a cheerful voice, and then walked past without hugging her. 

She looked confused as she looked at me walk away - and then she looked at her parents in embarrassment.......

I heard myself remarking to my colleague "It is safer nowadays to be absolutely correct - no hugging - even if they are children".  I was feeling sorry for the small girl, and was trying to justify my rude behaviour.

I turned and looked back.  The little girl had shrugged off her disappointment and was now waiting expectantly on the pathway for the next person to walk by.  Hopefully the next person will be braver and more spontaneous, and will not disappoint.

No comments: