Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A Risque afternoon at Prithvi

Yesterday I took my brother and his family (visiting Mumbai for the 1st time) to watch a play at Prithvi.  After all, what better way to expose my brother and his family to the vibrant cultural atmosphere of Mumbai?

To my consternation I realised once the play "Shree Maan Chor" started, that the theme of the play was all about middle class hypocrisy with a liberal dose of spouse swapping thrown in.  It was a Hindi adaptation of a famous Italian satire by the celebrated Dario Fo, with a lot of funny and double entendre dialogues thrown in.

Soon the play reached the hottest scene : one of the women - as part of stimulation - uses a "whip" ("hunter" in Hindi) on her man.  Again all supposed to be in good fun - because the audience was roaring away with laughter.

My brother nervously glanced at his 8 year old son.  And I at my mother.  Both were pictures of rapt concentration.

At the end of the play I asked my mother how she liked it.

"I did not understand the play at all as it was all in Hindi" my mother very diplomatically replied.

My 8 year old nephew was more clear in his verdict. He wrinkled his nose and said :"It was OK - but it reminded me of school when the teacher was using the big whip to beat that person".  

4 comments:

The Buzz About Taxes said...

That is an interesting study in human behaviour! :D Good writing!

vandram said...

Thanks Manasa :)

Kishore said...

Super Likes! Enjoyed every minute!

northierthanthou said...

Lol, nothing quite like a risque story with the wrong company.