Thursday, January 29, 2015

Contentment : Gangadhar's Story

Getting into an auto-rickshaw today morning, I was pleasantly surprised when the auto driver wished me a courteous "Good morning" with a bright smile, and enquired how my day was shaping up.

Having been a heavy user of autos for the last couple of months, I was quite taken aback - this is not something one expects from stressed Mumbai auto drivers.

He had a sense of tranquility and dignity written all over him.  My curiosity was triggered and I asked him to narrate his story.  Here it is in his own words:

"My name is Gangadhar, aged 57 years.  I have been driving an auto for the last 35 years in Mumbai.  I do not own this auto - I rent it on a daily basis as I want to get away from the hassle of ownership.  I am thus spared of the hassle of repairs and maintenance as the owner takes care of it.

I stay in a chawl (traditional shared dwellings) in Badlapur which is about 1.5 hours train ride from Ghatkoper where my auto owner stays.  I take a train to commute from my house.

Till about 5 years ago, I used to work 12 - 14 hours a day in order to save up to buy my 1 room in the chawl, and for my daughter's wedding.

Since past few years I work only half days, and return home by 1.30 pm.  I work half days not because I cannot still work full days, but because what I earn working half day (about Rs 400) is adequate for me and wife to lead a comfortable life.

I now want to lead a good life, and seek pleasantness in my life.  I avoid arguments with my passengers even if they are nasty.  If I behave politely with them and keep smiling, they normally are also polite to me.

I now find time to do what I love doing - and I consider myself lucky that I am able to do what I have been wanting to do since a long time."

No comments: