Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Getting Muddled Up

Have been staying in a hotel since last week. Today morning I got into the elevator to go to the restaurant for breakfast.  The lift was quite crowded with a holidaying family.  The teen daughters were blocking the push buttons inside the lift - so I told them to press 18.

They just looked at me and did nothing.

Oh, they are Russian tourists who don't understand me - so I said slowly "Press 18 - One Eight".

The 2 teenage girls just stared at me, and did nothing.

I was panicking now - I did not want to miss my floor.

When people do not understand, speak louder.

"PLEASE PRESS 18 - I am going to the breakfast lounge" I said doing the gesture of putting food into my mouth.

The mother now intervened, and in perfect British English she said "18 is the floor you got on.  You need to go to the 8th floor for the breakfast - and as you can see that button is already pushed".

I rode the rest of the elevator journey minutely examining my shoes, and wondering what would be the expression on their faces.

I scurried out of the elevator as soon as it reached the 8th floor - and cunningly pretended not to hear the explosion of laughter that echoed out of the elevator.

5 comments:

manshu said...

Take your time sir ji ... you will be just fine :)

vandram said...

Yeah - I only hope I never bump into that family again :)

manu said...

treasure those moments !!. Well expressed. hungry for more of such embarrassing incidents and the narration.

usha said...

Got to read the blog fwd by Manu. I thought I am the only one for whom such things happen, and have not told it out. But ofcourse, have learnt to de-embarrass such situations by starting the 'laugh' and laugh with the others if they join in.

vandram said...

Thanks Manu - though I hope no more elavator embarrassing situation happens to me :). Usha Pachi - I am yet to develop the courage to look people in the eye after such an incident :) My first instinct is to run .....