Friday, September 23, 2011

The Fly

I went out for my usual morning walk today, and a persistent fly attached itself to my head.  All throughout the walk the fly hovered around my head, getting into my eyes, buzzing into my ears.  I stopped several times and tried to fight the fly, waving my arms and trying to either drive it away or kill it - but to no avail.  The fly was very wily, and seemed to taunt me at my helplessness.

I started to walk faster.  The fly kept pace with me.

I was nearing the end of my 5 km walk, and the fly was still hovering around my head.  I started having visions of the fly following me into my house, and tormenting me for the rest of the day in my abode of peace, in my sanctum sanctorum.

I made a run for it.  I just started running fast.  Ran and ran.  Breathless, I stopped.  It was a long time since I had run.

The fly was no longer hovering over my head.  I had managed to outrun it.  I trudged back home, relieved, using a different route - did not want to take any chances.

I guess this was one of those problems that I was simply not equipped to fight.  In such situations it is best to just run and regain my peace.

7 comments:

Gaurang Rao said...

So true....Mom is saying it must have been a female fly for sure! :)
Lovely thought at the ending.

geetha said...

Haha love Gaurang's comment! :-)
Good post Ram. Reminds me of the Pink Panther cartoon that I watch with my son... a fly troubling the Pink Panther :-)
What you have said in the end is true!

vandram said...

Thanks Geetha/Gaurang. Gaurang, I am always surprised that your mother knows so much about me :)

manu said...

At first i thought you were treading in the footsteps of Mr Bean and even guessed that it will not be a fly after all but, as in the case with me was something that was hanging from your eyebrows, it was only at the end i realized that you were talking philosophy. Loved the description and also equally the end too.

manu said...

On a lighter note, loved Vanni's comments in Gaurangs comment and wonder why only female flies are attracted to oily hair.
Hey that makes me wonder what the fly would have found attractive and different with you and commits me to pose a question "Do Egyptians apply oil on their hair ?".

vandram said...

Pure coconut oil - applied liberally - just like in the school days!

Book MyPG said...

Really useful information. Thank you so much for sharing

Girls Hostel near northcampus