Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Musical Morning - Preethi Kamath

Preethi Kamath gave an impromptu performance to a private audience in Dubai last weekend.  She effortlessly alternated between singing in the Hindustani and the Carnatic styles - a difficult task for even the trained vocalist.

I greatly enjoyed accompanying Preethi on the Harmonium.  Initially I was a bit queasy as this was an impromptu event without any rehearsals - and accompanying Carnatic music on the Harmonium is always a huge challenge particularly if it has to be done spontaneously, and with no prior knowledge of the Raag.  So I was indeed thrilled when the accompaniment went off smoothly.



The high-point was of course the sight of my mother (and guru) Meera Rao accompanying on the Tabla. Videos of the event have been uploaded on YouTube.  My personal favourite - embedded above - was Preethi's rendition of the song Sarasee.   The other notable one was the rendition of Raag Malkoums in both the Hindustani and the Carnatic (Hindolam) style.

2 comments:

Gautam Nath said...

Very cool, so very artistic.

manu said...

I eagerly listened and watched and enjoyed the performance. Super. I liked Preethi's voice and style but, honestly, more enjoyed watching you play the harmonium. You are super too. How fluently and smoothly your fingers moved around the keys. And amma's sense of taal is super too. Great.